RIDING DRAG

RIDING DRAG
Part of the Mare Herd at the 4DH Ranch in Oklahoma. For More Works by Debra Coppinger Hill Click Image.

Monday, August 9, 2010

RIDING DRAG / RICH!



This week’s project is gutting the mobile home on the east rise and getting it ready for our daughter and her husband to use as a location for their dog grooming business. This is not just a slap a little paint, cosmetic make-over; it is a full blown, rip out the floors and plumbing deal. It seems like the list of supplies goes on forever, as does the list of things that need to be fixed. I look at as a practice session as I intend to rip out our own kitchen later and redo the floors and plumbing in it.

You learn a lot when you are re-doing a building in a major way. You learn that everyone has different ideas as to how things should be done, where to cut corners and what decorative touches should be used. Fortunately we all seem to be in agreement so things are running smooth in that direction. I have come to the conclusion that hard physical work makes for good companions. It seems when everyone is hot and tired and sweaty things run smooth. No one has the energy to argue and any small gesture (such as bringing someone a bottle of water when you fetch one for yourself) is appreciated. Common courtesy becomes the rule of the day if for no other reason than this summer heat rules us and we must be kind or explode…literally.

Yesterday as the sweat rolled off my forehead into my eyes I was reminded of a little something my Dad and Grand-dad use to say, “Rich people pay to sweat like this.” They spend money on gym memberships, fitness equipment and personal trainers to get the same results as we are getting for free. I just have to keep reminding myself how truly lucky I am!

“Rich people pay to sweat to pay like this”
  my Grand-dad used to say.
I didn’t understand what he meant,
  but I figured it out today.

One hundred and five degrees outside
  with a heat index of one hundred twenty,
Pushes the body to its very limits
  of producing sweat a-plenty.

Beads of sweat ran down my back
  off my forehead into my eyes,
I’m soggy down to my boots,
  so it comes as no surprise;

To suddenly realize that being rich
  is not measured in fine clothes and cash,
It’s measured in gallons of sticky sweat
  and a head to toe heat rash.
So as I say my prayers tonight
  my Grand-dad’s words I’ll heed,
And take a moment to thank for Lord
  for making me truly rich indeed.



Contact Debra Coppinger Hill at ridingdrag.info@gmail.com


http://ridingdrag.blogspot.com



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ RIDING DRAG with DEBRA COPPINGER HILL is featured each week at ALWAYS COWBOY where Debra is a Resident Western Poet. Join her and her Cowboy Friends for Cowboy Poetry, News & Events. http://alwayscowboy.net/debra_coppinger_hill_poetry.html

No comments: