RIDING DRAG

RIDING DRAG
Part of the Mare Herd at the 4DH Ranch in Oklahoma. For More Works by Debra Coppinger Hill Click Image.

Monday, August 16, 2010

RIDING DRAG / COWGIRL WAY

The very best part about performing Cowboy Poetry is all the great people I get to meet. I had several people tell me “you need to meet Teresa Burleson; you are two peas in a pod”. I was already a fan of her work and once we met I became one of her admirers and I am proud to say one of her friends. Two peas in a pod? In many ways yes. We love the same kinds of poetry, horses, people and we both write. Writing is a special kind of insanity and it takes a special kind of friend to understand the need, the desire, to write what you know and feel.

When I read her poetry I feel a kinship. I know that she knows what she is talking about. She has grown up cowgirl and lives cowgirl each and every day. In her poem ‘Cowgirl Way’ I feel she speaks for most other cowgirls out there today.

“I can raise an orphan calf, raise a garden and even raise a child,
And I might climb on a colt that most would think too wild.

My hands may be rough and calloused from the chores I do each day.
But my heart is still soft and tender cause that's the cowgirl way.

And I like for a feller to tip his hat, let me go first and open up my doors,
But I am not helpless or fragile and I can saddle my own horse.

I make a good pardner, not a possession or something that you own,
And I think for myself, so don’t try to boss me, I’m a cowgirl fully grown.

I have strength and it comes from a pride in what I stand for, who I am and what I do.
And because no matter which trail I choose to ride the Lord is ridin’ right there too.”

It is this kind of poetry that has garnered Teresa the honor of being chosen the Academy of Western Artists Will Rogers Award for 2010 Cowgirl Poet of the Year. She shared the exciting news Saturday. I have spent the last couple of days trying to come up with some way to tell her how proud I am to be her friend and how happy I am that she is going to receive this Award. I know how special this award is; I received it in 2002.

Ever gracious, Teresa posted this when she found out she had been honored with the award. “I have had so many blessings in my life but in the last few weeks God has just poured out the blessing on me! My new job and being selected as the Academy of Western Artists 2010 Cowgirl Poet of the Year. I am continually blessed by the awesome friends He has put in my life. My wonderful family. All the great opportunities God has opened up for me. Sometimes I think I am dreaming! I don't deserve all this!”

That’s the other thing I like about Teresa, she praises God for all the blessings in her life. I find it most appealing that she is humble about her talents and gives credit where credit is due. That is why I want her to know that yes, she does deserve all the blessings God has bestowed upon her. She deserves it all because she is loyal to her Faith, her family and her friends. And she deserves it if for no other reason, than she blesses us each time she writes and recites a new poem or sings us a song that honors and preserves our Western ways. Congratulations Cowgirl, you’re the best!


ACADEMY OF WESTERN ARTISTS
2010 WILL ROGERS AWARD
COWGIRL POET OF THE YEAR
TERESA BURLESON

~*~*~*~*~
ALWAYS COWBOY IS PROUD TO HAVE
TERESA BURLESON AS A TOP HAND POET!
http://AlwaysCowboy.net/teresa_burleson.html
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*Contact Debra Coppinger Hill at ridingdrag.info@gmail.com

*To read Teresa Burleson’s poem ‘Cowgirl Way’ go to the Cowboy Poetry section at http://AlwaysCowboy.net/teresa_burleson.html While you’re there click on the link at the top of the page and read her column/blog ‘Chasing Tumbleweeds’ for some great stories and cowgirl observations.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
RIDING DRAG with DEBRA COPPINGER HILL is featured each week at ALWAYS COWBOY where Debra is a Resident Western Poet. Join her and her Cowboy Friends for Cowboy Poetry, News & Events. http://alwayscowboy.net/debra_coppinger_hill_poetry.html

TWO PEAS IN A POD?
Above: Debra Coppinger Hill
Below: Teresa Burleson
Horse Crazy!

No comments: