RIDING DRAG

RIDING DRAG
Part of the Mare Herd at the 4DH Ranch in Oklahoma. For More Works by Debra Coppinger Hill Click Image.

Monday, December 13, 2010

RIDING DRAG / TEMPORARY CONSTRUCTION

“Dear Santa,

We’re remodeling, it’s a wreck you see,
  I want one thing or maybe two or three.
It doesn’t have to be fancy or real formal,
  just basics to make things feel normal.

This year can I have a kitchen floor,
  so I can let company through the door?
And some new walls would also be nice,
  to keep out little critters, wind and ice.

Would I be considered a Grinch,
  or perhaps a grabby, greedy louse,
If I just went ahead and said it,
  Santa, can I have a whole new house?

It doesn’t seem like Christmas
  with the remodeling mess and all;
I just want to be more organized,
  before the snow starts to fall.”

Then my friend Jimmie stopped by,
  and I apologized for the destruction,
She said “This mess is not a big deal,
  it’s just some temporary construction.”

“I didn’t come to see your house,
  I came here today to see you,
It will be done when it is done.
  Until then, God will see you through.”

So I laid my Santa letter aside,
  before I laid me down to sleep,
I asked the Lord to bless our friends,
  and their precious souls to keep.

Because they love us the way we are,
  despite circumstances and disruption;
Reminding us God’s love never fails,
  through our own temporary construction.

I think I will finish that letter now,
  to dear old Santa Claus,
And ask for something we all need,
  I hope it gives him pause.

“Dear Santa,
I’d like to ask you to please make sure,
  that people know this holiday season,
That this special day is called Christmas,
  and Christ the Son is the reason.”


Debra



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
RIDING DRAG with DEBRA COPPINGER HILL is featured each week at ALWAYS COWBOY where Debra is a Resident Western Poet. Join her and her Cowboy Friends for Cowboy Poetry, News & Events. http://alwayscowboy.net/debra_coppinger_hill_poetry.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this Christmas poem! It really puts things into perspective! XxXoOo