RIDING DRAG

RIDING DRAG
Part of the Mare Herd at the 4DH Ranch in Oklahoma. For More Works by Debra Coppinger Hill Click Image.

Monday, December 13, 2010

RIDING DRAG / NEW & IMPROVED HAT LASSO

My buddy Heath once did a little deer hunting with a motorcycle. It wasn’t intentional, just one of those accidents that happen late at night on a country road. Unfortunately, it took a couple of years out of his life while he healed and got mobile again. But there is good in every situation. Heath had to sit still while he healed. No horseback riding, no motorcycles, no two-stepping; just lots of time to sit and think.

I am a hat wearing girl. Around home, to town, to events, while sitting at my desk (it’s a signal that I am not really there but have left to go to work) and I wear one when performing. I was even allowed to wear one on the Floor of the Oklahoma House of Representatives when my buddies and I were invited to perform Cowboy Poetry there. A Cowboy hat is a symbol to me; a symbol of my culture, my family history and more important, I consider the Cowboy Hat a symbol of Freedom. (But that’s another story.)

Back-track nearly 5 years when Heath and I became friends and he gave me one of the handiest presents I have ever received. Having had my favorite hat crushed by a guitar case, I was not in a very good mood the day he called. He was looking for some Cowboy Poetry to put on his website. I scanned the site and called him back and told him he could use some of my poems. Then I told him what had happened to my hat and asked him about the Hat Lasso he had for sale on the site. He offered to send me one to try out. As my grand-daddy used to say, “It was better than sliced bread!” I have had one in every vehicle ever since. No drilling, no metal to leave marks on my hat, just the neatest little hat holder ever.

As Heath sat and healed, he worked on improving the Hat Lasso so as to make it easier to get your hat in and out of. I am now the owner of a new and improved Hat Lasso and I have to say it works great. Sometimes we just have to take a very bad situation and make something good out of it. Heath’s injuries made him have to sit still, but he didn’t waste that time. He took a good thing and made it better. He looked towards the future and knew he had to make changes in his life, and he did. He and Hat Lasso are both new and improved. I have decided to take a page from his book and think outside my world; a good idea for any of us in this day and age. Don’t let anything get you down, face forward and fear not!

As for Heath’s hunting abilities, he recently killed a pack-rat with a fishing rod; but that too, is a whole other story.


*Check out Hat Lasso at http://www.hatlasso.com/ 







 http://www.hatlasso.com/



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
RIDING DRAG with DEBRA COPPINGER HILL is featured each week at ALWAYS COWBOY where Debra is a Resident Western Poet. Join her and her Cowboy Friends for Cowboy Poetry, News & Events. http://alwayscowboy.net/debra_coppinger_hill_poetry.html

No comments: