RIDING DRAG

RIDING DRAG
Part of the Mare Herd at the 4DH Ranch in Oklahoma. For More Works by Debra Coppinger Hill Click Image.

Monday, December 13, 2010

RIDING DRAG / HIS PROMISE

Each year October seems to scurry past at full speed. There is no time to enjoy the days of fall; we are consumed with getting ready for winter. Tank heaters needing to be tested and put in, hay and grain stocked, tack cleaned and oiled for foul weather, animal medical kits replenished, barn secured and horses that have run free across the large pasture brought in closer. Add to this a major house renovation, Husband announcing he would be spending another 3-5 years working in Colorado, Daughter and Her Husband trying to renovate their own older home, a three and a half year old grandson who needs attention and other family obligations. Over-whelmed is an understatement of life around here at present. I suppose the good thing is that I am not alone. I know so many other folks going through their own version of ‘life over-extended’.


Once, long ago lived a girl named Debra who was young and bullet-proof; ahhh…I remember her fondly. Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, she was ready to take on the world at a moment’s notice. Lately though she has begun to realize that she has limitations. Her body has started to complain of past auto accidents, cancer surgeries, horse wrecks and sleep deprivation. Her once sharp wit has dulled to where she finds herself many hours later, with the perfect come-back line. She also knows she possesses certain things, like truck keys, a hammer and a sewing box but is never quite sure where they are. Tired and sleepy, she does not sleep once she crawls into bed because her mind is racing with all the things left undone that MUST be done before winter sets in. And again she realizes that she is not alone, there are so many other people like her who are rushed, extended beyond their means and tired of holding it all together while seeing little return.

Once, long ago on a very cold day, an angel walked into a busy Tulsa intersection where Husband was holding a survey rod while dodging traffic as part of a job he was not happy with. She handed him a small piece of blue paper and said “I’m supposed to give you this.” He took what she was holding out to him, glanced towards his instrument man and then back to her. She was gone and in his hand was a nickel coin wrapper. On it were two things; ‘Isa. 41.13’ and ‘Jer.29.11’. He stuck them in his pocket and went back to work. When he got home he went straight to the Bible and looked them up. Then he came to the kitchen to talk to me. He had been thinking about quitting his job and taking a job in another state. He considered this is sign; a promise from God that everything would be alright if he just walked in faith. Husband did quit, we did move and though life has its moments, those two little scriptures scribbled on a coin wrapper have cheered us and sustained us through the ups and the downs that the world has thrown at us.

So today, when I thought I just couldn’t possibly put up with one more job to do, with one more whine or complaint or with one more ache or pain, I opened our Bible, took out the coin wrapper and read those scriptures. Isaiah: 41.13 - For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say unto you, “Fear not, I will help you”. And Jeremiah:29.11 - For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Yes, I am feeling much better now. I slept well, I have a more certain outlook and just like long ago, I am ready to take on the world. Oh, I’m not saying I won’t get over-whelmed again; I am practically sure I will. But in between the pages of the Bible is a coin wrapper with two of many promises that He, has made to me…to all of us, who live close to the land and to Him.

So bring it on winter! I have my family, my home and His promises. Who could ask for anything more?


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
RIDING DRAG with DEBRA COPPINGER HILL is featured each week at ALWAYS COWBOY where Debra is a Resident Western Poet. Join her and her Cowboy Friends for Cowboy Poetry, News & Events. http://alwayscowboy.net/debra_coppinger_hill_poetry.html

No comments: