RIDING DRAG

RIDING DRAG
Part of the Mare Herd at the 4DH Ranch in Oklahoma. For More Works by Debra Coppinger Hill Click Image.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

RIDING DRAG / GOING WITH THE FLOW

 April 30, 2019

“The best laid plans of mice and Ranch Wives are soon deep in mud” is my new motto. I had plans for today; early to rise, hot tea and some oatmeal, pay some bills online, go pick up the baskets I bought, stop at the bank and post office, come home, dash off my column about my day, feed and then spend the evening with my best friend Jimi. I should have known better than to make plans.

The rain and wind woke me up at 3:00 a.m. I let in the dogs, checked the new kittens and watched as the wind blew my new garden plants all over the yard. Back in bed I lay thinking about what I was going to have to add to my plans to get this back on track. Once up I ate, got dressed and got the bills taken care of and went to get in the truck to head out for the baskets. From the driveway I could see that two of the cows and their calves had lifted a panel and were presently occupied making the hay storage lot their new home. One had her head pushed though the fence to the mini’s corral making a hole big enough for the small horses to get out through. It’s another rubber boot day.

Sigh…I know I am going to have to wade out there and move the panels, clear the cows out, fix the fence and then do the feeding. Will I still get to sit and gossip and drink tea with my friend like we planned? No, there will be no sitting. Once she shows up she will get her rubber boots and throw in with me and get things done. Long ago we learned to go with the flow. There is no reason to get upset because things do not go as planned. We will laugh about our muddy clothes and wet hair.

I stand and watch the rain as it keeps coming down. It is presently flowing across the yard like a river.  Looks like it is time for a new motto; “When plans go astray and you’re feeling low, pull up your boots and go with the flow.”
 
~<>~<>~<>~
 
*For more information on Debra Coppinger Hill go to the poetry section at AlwaysCowboy.com
~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~
RIDING DRAG with DEBRA COPPINGER HILL is featured each week at ALWAYS COWBOY where Debra is a Resident Western Poet. Join her and her Cowboy Friends for Cowboy Poetry, News & Events. http://alwayscowboy.net/debra_coppinger_hill_poetry.html

No comments: